Wednesday, May 29, 2013

End of Year Tradition

Being a new teacher, I get to set my own end of year tradition.  I'm rather excited this year as I have come up with a tradition that I think will be beneficial to my small growing program.  I am having "Exit Interviews" with each of my students in Middle and High School. 

This interview includes the following questions: What was your favorite thing we did this year? What things can we improve for next year? How can I improve as your teacher?

It's rather funny how taken back the students are when I ask them how I can improve. There have been a few good answers but mostly shock.  Many students asked why I would ask that and I give them this simple answer.  "I do not want to be the same tomorrow as I am today."

Let's talk about that statement..."I do not want to be the same tomorrow as I am today." As a teacher, we always push and push that our students practice, listen, and improve. However, our programs will only improve as much as we put into it.  A Chinese proverb states, "Personal example carries more weight than preaching." If we can show students that we care enough to ask for help improving a personal aspect, there is a greater chance of them asking for help.  Our example carries a great weight on how our students work.

What are we doing today to make sure we are not the same tomorrow ?  Have we honestly asked ourselves what our strengths and weaknesses are? When I had finished my first year, I had lots to review.  My biggest weakness at the time was teaching elementary music.  There was not a set curriculum nor any sort of guide to help me figure out what to do.  I went to the state standards and they were not enough.  So I started asking around and came across curriculum books that were supposed to be the best thing ever.  So I was, luckily, able to get the teacher editions and create a curriculum with those.  Since that time, I have looked back again and again to review the work done and the progress made.  I am pleased with the improvement in my overall confidence as a teacher and the structure that was created.  I am not the same today as I was yesterday.

The steps we take towards improvement may be small and menial.  However, with each step forward, there is progress no matter how large the step.  My little 10 month old daughter is starting to stand up on her own and take a step here and there.  With each step, she usually falls, gets back up and falls again.  The same is with our progress as a teacher!  Do we expect our beginning band students to pick up a saxophone and play a concerto on day one?  How about on day two or ten or 80? Why do we hold ourselves to a more strict requirements? 

As a beginning teacher, we often compare ourselves those veteran teachers we so admire.  We often find ourselves lacking in so many ways that we get depressed.  Don't do that!  We can't afford this!  Every minute we find ourselves in pity central, that much time is lost that we could have been touching a life for the better.  Look for the positive steps forward and DO NOT dwell on the steps backwards.  Now this does not mean that we aren't supposed to be realistic.  Yes we go backwards, but those steps back are a chance for us to see how we can do better.  Those teachers we admire did not become the great educators they are overnight, but rather by making the same mistakes we make and learning from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment