Monday, June 3, 2013

The Exit Interview

In the last post I mentioned how I had an "Exit Interview" with each of my High School and Middle School students. I know there are many teachers who have large classes and this may seem impossible to do with each student.  But what if this interview was only with the Section Leaders? Would that keep a sense of responsibility and ownership within the student? 

The interview process, for me, was really humbling and gratifying.  The first question I asked was, "What was your favorite part of music this year?"  Some of the most common answers were about how much fun they had at festivals, concerts, music selection, being with friends, etc.  Some shockers were how they enjoyed being required to practice.  The Symphonic Band here wanted more practice minutes (they were being required to do 1 hour a week) and so they decided that 100 minutes would be best (there were even some that wanted 2 hours per week).  So to have them say thank you was rather shocking yet gratifying! 

The second question was, "What things can we improve next year?" Many of the students want class time to be quieter (meaning less talking), more practicing, more dedication and motivation, etc.  I enjoyed at how open these students were with me.  That lets me see that these students not only feel comfortable with me as their teacher, but as someone they can talk to and not feel intimidated.  That feeling of openness is one reason why I have become a teacher.

The third and final question was, "What can I do better?" This question was rather fun to ask.  The student had never been asked this before and were not sure how to answer.  My favorite response was, "Get more sleep."  I love the honesty of these students.  Those who felt comfortable with me were open and helpful with their statements.  Another student asked me to be more open for suggestions and music selections.  Without getting too personal, I will forever cherish these comments.

Just because I listened to these students share their likes and dislikes, does not mean that I'm done.  Rather, I now need to improve on the items these students have suggested.  This whole exercise would be for nothing if I did not act and improve.  There has to be action for there to be trust.  If I had just listened and did not strive to improve, they would not trust me, nor could I trust myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment