Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Introduction

So I thought I'd give my two cents on how I've been able to succeed and fail as a young music teacher.  I am currently a K-12 Music Teacher in rural Nevada and am loving all the experience I'm getting here. 

The road here has not been an easy one, however.  I studied Music Education at Brigham Young University-Idaho where I was trained in so many teaching techniques.  I have been taught by the best professors and professional teachers I know and try everyday to emulate what was taught and shown by them.  My greatest educational influences have been Doug McElhaney from Huntington County Community School Corporation, Thaine Campbell who is retired from Huntington County Community School Corporation, Diane Soelberg from BYU-Idaho, Bill Holman who is retired from BYU-Idaho, Kendall Nielsen who is retired from BYU-Idaho, Ted Ashton from BYU-Idaho, Laura Huggard from North Fremont School District, and Michele Kommers from Pershing County School District.  These educators have demonstrated positive ways to influence the young lives of these students.

I graduated December 2011 and started teaching January 2012.  Before I was hired here, I was subbing in Idaho Falls, ID as a long-term music substitute and musician in the Idaho Falls Symphony.  I had to leave that behind to accept a position here in Nevada, which decision was hard none the less. While it was a hard move for my family and I, it has been none the less an amazing journey.

As I am ending year 1.5, I've had so many experiences that have shaped me into who I have become and will become as I continue to learn.  I hope the experiences I share will be uplifting and beneficial to all who decide to read what I write.  Enjoy!


1 comment: